Saturday, March 11, 2006

I was sitting here this tonight, having my evening constitutional. When all of a sudden a commercial on television caught my eye. I believe it was for "Nuvaring", a type of birth control. I'm not gonna get into the specifics because I honestly don't know. A girl I knew explained it to me once but I wasn't really paying attention at the time and needless to say I forgot soon thereafter, but I'm getting off topic. One of the lines of the commercial read "Ask your doctor about Nuvaring if you're experiencing problems with your current birth control." Needless to say that got the old gears going upstairs. I sat and wondered to myself, "What the hell do you consider a problem with your birth control? A baby?"

I mean really, other than a few minor side effects here and there, or just having a personal preference for one brand or type, what possible problem could someone have with their birth control that wouldn't end up being a baby? Not to imply that babies in general are a problem, but if you were taking birth control, one major problem for you would indeed be a baby. Let's face it babies are a lot of work. A lot of people aren't equipped for them. Their simply too much maintenance. Now I've never been one for "coddling" babies. I'm not a "baby coddler", but they do require a good deal of effort. I know that much and shit, I don't even have one.

In other news....greener news for that matter, I saw this story posted over at CNN and felt the need to share, not because of the Cannabis content but because I love Jesus.....like totally.

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- An Alaska high school violated a student's free speech rights by suspending him after he unfurled a banner that said "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" across the street from the school, a federal court ruled Friday.
Joseph Frederick, a student at Juneau-Douglas High School in Alaska, displayed the banner -- which refers to smoking marijuana -- in January 2002 to try to get on television as the Olympic torch relay was passing the school.
Principal Deborah Morse seized the banner and suspended the 18-year-old for 10 days, saying he had undermined the school's educational mission and antidrug stance.
Friday's ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco overturned a decision by a federal court in Alaska that backed Frederick's suspension and said his rights were not violated.
The appeals court said the banner was protected speech because it did not disrupt school activity and was displayed off school grounds during a non curricular activity.
"Public schools are instrumentalities of government, and government is not entitled to suppress speech that undermines whatever missions it defines for itself," Judge Andrew Kleinfeld wrote in the court's opinion.
The court also cleared the way for Frederick to seek damages, saying Morse was aware of relevant case law and should have known her actions violated his rights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home